Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15
Boson, John, London, carver (1720–d. 1743). When John Boson died in April 1743 he had become one of a select group of craftsmen closely connected with the designs of William Kent.
Coade, Eleanor and her successors, London (1769–c. 1840). Eleanor Coade (b. 1733–d. 1821) made an artificial stone at Narrow Wall, Lambeth, which so successfully imitated natural limestone that it has been mistaken for it ever since.
Crawley, Gerard, ‘The Coffee Mill and Nimble Ninepence’, Cornhill, London, turner (1743–68). Although a turner he dealt with and made items of furniture.
Davies (or Davis), T. & Griffin, Warwick and Newhall St, Birmingham, carver and gilders (1769–70).
Del Vecchio, —, 26 Westmorland St, and 187–88 Gt Brunswick St, London, ‘PRINT, LOOKING-GLASS, STATUARY, PLAISTER OF PARIS, & ROMAN CEMENT MANUFACTURER, TO HIS MAJESTY KING GEORGE IV AND TO THE BOARD OF WORKS’ (1831).
Dunn, Michael, York, u (1762–67). Son of George Dunn, brewer, of Blaydon, Co. Durham; app. to George Reynoldson, u, on 7 December 1762. Probably the Michael Dunn, app.
Edmonds, —, address unrecorded, ‘inventor’ (1744). Notice in Daily Advertiser, 23 April 1744 concerned the sale ‘by Order of the Creditors of Mr.
Elward, George & Marsh, William, succeeded by Elward, Marsh & Bailey; Elward, Marsh & Tatham; Marsh & Tatham; Tatham & Bailey; Tatham, Bailey & Saunders; Bailey & Saunders; Edward Bailey; Mount St, near Charles St, London, cm
Gillow, Lancaster and London cm (c. 1730–after 1840).
Gordon, John and Taitt, John and Richard, London, cm and upholders (1748–96). Although the firm of John Gordon and John Taitt received a number of important commissions in the 1770s, relatively little is known about the two partners’ early careers.
Hildebrand, —, temporarily in London, ‘Proprietor and Maker of the most Magnificent Cabinet in the World’. A notice, c. 1780, advertised the spectacle of his extraordinary cabinet at ‘Mr.
Ratcliffe, John, York, cm (1740–67). Recorded at Coney St in 1740; Low Ousegate in 1743; ‘next Door to the Sign of the Blue Anchor upon Ouse Bridge’ in 1746; and in St Helen's parish, 1759–67.
Smith, Henry, parish of St Michael le Belfrey, York, u (c.1741– 67). Son of John Smith of Oulstone, Yorks., yeoman. His father was already dead when on 29 September 1734 he was app. to George Reynoldson.
Thursby, William, Norwich, carver and gilder (1778–79). Advertised in Norfolk Chronicle, 7 November 1778, that he ‘intends opening his Shop on Monday the 9th Inst.
Tuson, Robert, probably London, cm and u (1759–75). Supplied furniture to Charles Rogers, a distinguished connoisseur and collector of London.