Skip to main content

Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.

Filter results

Search results

Displaying 1 - 25 of 29

Arbuthnot, Philip, Villers St, Strand, London, cm, japanner and looking-glass seller (1702–27). One of the most fashionable furniture suppliers of the first decades of the 18th century.

Bailey, Edward, 13 and 14 Mount St, Grosvenor Sq., London, cm, u and undertaker (1809–40).

Barefoote, Josiah, London, cm and u (d. 1744). Sale of stock announced in Daily Advertiser, 19 May 1744: ‘The Upholstery & Cabinet Goods of Mr Josiah Barefoote, deceas'd within Two Doors of Durham Yard in the Strand, viz.

Bealing, Richard, London, u (1672–1711). Named frequently in the Royal Household accounts between 1688–1711, supplying bedding, cushions, upholstered furniture, curtains etc.

Bodham, Philip, ‘The Three Chairs’, Bartholomew Close, West Smithfield, London, u (1719–24). ‘Was partner with the late Mr. John Hibbert, is now remov'd to the next door’, as above.

Bridgman, Thomas, address unrecorded, u (1768).

Bromwich, Thomas, at ‘The Golden Lyon’, Ludgate Hill, London, paper stainer and u (1748–d. 1787). Trade card, dated 1748, states that he ‘Makes and Sells all manner of Screens, Window Blinds, and Covers for Tables, Cabins, Stair-Cases, &c.

Bullock, George, Liverpool and London, cm (b. 1777/78– d. 1818).

Chipchase, Robert & Lambert, Robert, London, cm and u (1767–88). At 2 Beak St, Golden Sq., 1767–75 when the address became 28 Warwick St, Golden Sq. The Beak St address was still being used by Robert Chipchase as late as 1787.

Eagles, T. F., 18 King St, Covent Gdn, London, manufacturer of paper tea trays to their Majesties and the Royal Family (1813–25). Eagles succeeded to the premises and business of Henry Clay between 1810–13.

Evans, Cadwalader, address unrecorded, cm (1724–30). Carried out much jobbing and general repair work for the Monson family. Bills to Lady Mary Saunderson submitted between 1724–30 totalled £85 0s 11d, and refer generally to furniture repairs.

George, Remy, Bartholomew Close, London, upholder (1704–27). App. to Thomas Dixon and free of the Upholders’ Co. by servitude on 28 August 1704.

Gillow, Lancaster and London cm (c. 1730–after 1840).

Goodison, Benjamin, ‘Golden Spread Eagle’, Long Acre, London, cm (c. 1700–67). Benjamin Goodison first comes to notice on 7 September 1719 when he signed for money for ‘my master’ James Moore from the Duchess of Marlborough. [BL, Add.

Gumley, Elizabeth, London, cm (1674–d. 1751); Gumley, John, cm and manufacturer of plate- and looking-glass (1691–1727).

Hick, Joseph, Leeds, Yorks., carver and gilder, varnish maker, furniture japanner, sign and ornamental painter (1817–37). Recorded at 56 Mill Hill in 1817; 9 West Bar, 1828–34 and 12 Westbar in 1837.

Jensen, Gerrit, St Martin's Lane, London, cm (1680–d. 1715). Gerrit Jensen, whose name occurs in the Lord Chamberlain's accounts spelt in fourteen different ways (sometimes anglicized as plain Garrard Johnson), has been called ‘the English Boulle’.

Johnson, John, ‘The Kings Arms’, Long Acre London, cm (before 1695).

Male, Robert, Hotwells, Bristol, cm, u and undertaker (1825–35). Trading at 9 Caroline Pl. in 1825; 11 Dowry Sq., 1826–35; and as a Venetian and Indian blindmaker from 1827. [D]

Martin, Edward, at ‘The Looking Glass’, Cannon St, London, cm (1751). Sale of stock in trade by Mr Ashley announced in General Advertiser, 7 September 1751.

Meader, John, at the ‘White Lyon over against the Church in Aldermanbury’, London, cm and joiner (1707–21). Trade card states that he ‘maketh and selleth all sorts of Cabinets and Joyners Work, viz.

Moore, James snr, Nottingham Ct, Short's Gdns, St Giles-in-the-Fields, London, cm (c. 1670–d. 1726). Moore may be the ‘James Moore’ born to James and Mary Moore, and christened on 10 December 1670 at St Dunstan's, Stepney.

Pearson, William, London, chairmaker (1720). In 1720 supplied 24 walnut chairs with Indian backs and matted seats to Temple Newsam House, Leeds, at a cost of £24. [Furn. Hist., 1967]

Senior, John, Widemarsh St, Hereford, cm and upholder (1837).