Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 146
Adamson, Robert, Fenchurch St, London, cm, joiner and mahogany turner (1751–66). His trade card [Heal; MMA; NY] states that he ‘Makes all sorts of Cabinet Looking Glasses and Mahogany Goods at the lowest Prices. NB.
Alden, Anne, Below the conduit, Exeter, Devon, u (1717–24). In 1717 took app. named Humphrey Wilcox who continued the business at the same address on her retirement in 1724.
Alken, Sefferin, London, carver (1744–83). In 1744 his address was given as St James's, Westminster, and from 1760 he was at Dufour's Ct, Broad St, Golden Sq.
Allin, William, Newark, Notts., cm (1770–88). Insured with the Sun Fire Office in 1776 for a total of £1,000 of which £400 was for utensils and stock.
Audley, William jnr & John, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs., u, cm and auctioneers (1812–39). Initially at Lad Lane but by 1822 had in addition premises in the High St. In the period 1818–22 the business is referred to as William Audley & Sons.
Baines, Henry, Lancaster, joiner and cm (1739–84). Admitted freeman as a joiner, 1739–40, and took eighteen app. joiners and cm between 3 September 1744 and 15 October 1785.
Barry, William, 15 Junction Dock St, Hull, Yorks., cm, u, paper hanger and furniture broker (1831–40).
Belshaw, Edmund jnr, Liverpool, cm (1802–05). Admitted freeman on 8 July 1802. Took app. in 1802 named Samuel Sharrat, who petitioned freedom in 1818.
Bonynge, —, address unrecorded, upholder (1795). Two of a set of six painted beechwood armchairs signed ‘BONYNGE UPHOLDER 1795’, exhibited by D. Drey, Antique Fair, Grosvenor House, 7–22 June 1962. [Conn., June 1962, p.
Boson, John, London, carver (1720–d. 1743). When John Boson died in April 1743 he had become one of a select group of craftsmen closely connected with the designs of William Kent.
Bradburn(e), John, London, cm, u, appraiser, undertaker (1750–d. 1781).
Bradshaw, William, London, cm, u and ‘tapissier’ (1728–d. 1775). Workshops at Frith St, 1728–32; the ‘Gr. House’, 27 Soho Sq. and 59–60 Greek St, 1732–47; 60 Greek St, 1748–51; no. 59, 1752–55; and Princes St, Hanover Sq., 1756–62.
Brookshaw, George, 48 Gt Marlborough St, London, cm, commode maker, ‘Peintre-Ebéniste par Extraordinaire’ (1783–86). Employed at Carlton House, 1783–86, when his bill totalling £55 15s 6d was examined by Henry Holland.
Brown, James, St Paul's Churchyard, London, u and cm (1747–96). Traded initially at the sign of ‘The King's Arms’ on the south side of St Paul's Churchyard which had been previously used by Christopher Gibson.
Brown, John, St Paul's Churchyard, London, cm and u (1718–68). Son of Richard Brown of Chipping Norton, Oxon., tallow chandler. App. to John James on 28 March 1718 and free of the Upholders’ Co. by servitude, 6 October 1725.
Brown, W., 6 Gt George St, Liverpool, cm and u (1832–34). Advertised in Liverpool Mercury, 18 May 1832, that he ‘has removed from 41 St. James Street to No. 6 Great George Street’. Sale of stock announced, same paper, 2 May 1834, ‘of Mr. W.
Burnett, Thomas, Strand, London, u and cm (1744–74). Recorded at ‘The King's Arms, against the New Church in the Strand’, 1747–66, and no. 61 Strand, 1760–74. [D] In partnership with Gilbert Burnett, 1747–74.
Channon, John, 109 St Martin's Lane, London, cm (b. 1711–d. c. 1783). In the 18th century there were many Channons living in Exeter and Tiverton, and it is not always possible to establish their precise relationship to each other.
Cheere, Sir Henry, St Margaret's, Westminster, London, carver (b. 1703–d. 1781). For details of the work of this noted sculptor in stone see Gunnis. Amongst the Blackett accounts for Fenham Hall, Northumb.
Chipchase, Robert & Lambert, Robert, London, cm and u (1767–88). At 2 Beak St, Golden Sq., 1767–75 when the address became 28 Warwick St, Golden Sq. The Beak St address was still being used by Robert Chipchase as late as 1787.
Clay, Henry, Birmingham and London, japanner and papier-mâché manufacturer (1772–d. 1812). App. to John Baskerville of 22 Moor St, Birmingham from 1740–49.
Cleare, Thomas, ‘The Indian Chair’, south side of St Paul's Churchyard, London, cm (1724). His trade label has been recorded on a walnut kneehole writing desk sold at Sotheby's on 26 March 1976, lot 47.
Coade, Eleanor and her successors, London (1769–c. 1840). Eleanor Coade (b. 1733–d. 1821) made an artificial stone at Narrow Wall, Lambeth, which so successfully imitated natural limestone that it has been mistaken for it ever since.
Cribb, Robert, High Holborn, London, carver, gilder and print seller (1790–1834).
Crow, William, St Bartholomew's, Bartholomew Close, London, u (1659–68). Alderman of the City of London. Mentioned in Samuel Pepys's Diary no fewer than ten times between 1660–68.