Skip to main content

Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.

Filter results

Search results

Displaying 1 - 25 of 130

Adams, George snr, cm (d. 1773). Small inlaid mahogany cabinet of c. 1750 by this maker belongs to University College, Oxford (on loan to the Museum of the History of Science).

Allin, William, Newark, Notts., cm (1770–88). Insured with the Sun Fire Office in 1776 for a total of £1,000 of which £400 was for utensils and stock.

Andrewes, Thomas, 25 Baldwin St, Bristol, cm and upholder (1781–d. 1819). In 1785 supplied a considerable quantity of fine inlaid furniture for the Mansion House, Queen's Sq. The cost of Andrewes's work amounted to £594 1s 9d.

Ashlin, William, 6 Belton St, Long Acre and 68 Strand, London, carver, gilder and looking-glass maker (1789–1826). Initially trading solely from the Belton St address.

Baldock, Edward Holmes, Hanway St, London, furniture dealer, restorer, etc. (b. 1777–d. 1845). Born on 14 May 1777. Married on 19 November 1811 Mary Goringe, the daughter of John and Sarah Goringe of Buxted, Sussex.

Balls, John & Co., Bird St and Oxford St, London, cm, u and appraiser (1809–40). Addresses at 12–13 Bird St, Manchester Sq., 1809–37; George Yd, Grosvenor Sq., 1827–28; 170 Oxford St, 1835–40 and 26 Bird St in 1839.

Barton, J., address unrecorded. Inlaid rosewood sofa table recorded signed ‘J. Barton May 17 1822’. [C. Life, 12 June 1969, advert. of Meyrick Neilson, Tetbury]

Belcher & Gray, London, cm and u (1769–81). Addresses given at Brownlow St, Holborn, 1769–83, and Poultney St, Golden Sq., 1783–84. In 1779 supplied beds and bedding for Sir John Griffin Griffin's London house in New Burlington St.

Bennet(t), Samuel, ‘at the Sign of the Cabinet’, Lothbury, London, cm (c. 1695–d. 1741).

Bertram, William, 100 Dean St, Soho, London, u (1839). [D] Brass-inlaid mahogany kneehole desk in French style recorded in private collection with stamped name and address on edge of central drawer.

Beyer, James, 13 Broad St, Carnaby Mkt, London, cm and u (1776–93).

Bindon, Stephen, Eastbourne, Sussex (c. 1750). Mahogany kneehole desk recorded with the words ‘Stephen Bindon, Eastbourne’ inlaid in ivory on the centre drawer. Possibly name of owner rather than maker. [Collector's Guide, January 1951]

Bone, Henry, Truro, Cornwall, then Plymouth, Devon, carver and worker in wood (1755–72).

Bradburn(e), John, London, cm, u, appraiser, undertaker (1750–d. 1781).

Bradley, Richard, Horsemarket, Warrington, Lancs., cm (1796–1808). Witnessed a will in 1796. Good quality mahogany bow-fronted secretaire bookcase, c.

Brailsford, William, Sheffield, Yorks., cm and u (1774–1837). Trading with Thomas Brailsford at High St in 1774; alone at Norfolk St in 1787; at 3 Market St in 1797; and at 3 George St in 1837. [D] Subscribed to Sheraton's Drawing Book, 1793.

Bream, Samuel, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, cm and chairmaker (1774–1807). Addresses given at the ‘Tea-Chest’, Charlotte St in 1776; Blind Middle St, 1779–80; and near the New Hall on the Quay, 1780–87.

Bream(e) (or Braem), Jasper, London, inlayer and cm (1684–d. c. 1696). Trading in St Clement Danes parish before 1696.

Buchanan, William, 53 Berner's St, London(?), cm (1837). Sold a magnificent wardrobe of inlaid wood, costing £50, to Charlecote Park, Warks. in 1837. [Warwick RO, L6/1118 and 1120]

Bullock, George, Liverpool and London, cm (b. 1777/78– d. 1818).

Burrows, George & James, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Tunbridge-ware manufacturers (1828–40). James Burrows was a partner of William Burrows in 1827 but in the following year this was dissolved and a fresh partnership with George Burrows established.

Bury, George, address unrecorded, inlayer (1713). Described his craft as that of inlayer rather than cm when he took app. in 1713. [PRO, IR 1/2; Burlington, June 1980, p. 415]

Butler, Jos., Tattenhall, Cheshire, cm (1814). Signed and dated in marquetry the door of an oak housekeeper's cupboard with marquetry inlay, now at the Grosvenor Museum, Chester.

Butler, Thomas, London, cm and u (1787–1814). Initially took employment as an attorney's clerk and was a part-time nonconformist minister at a chapel in Hitchin, Herts.

Channon, John, 109 St Martin's Lane, London, cm (b. 1711–d. c. 1783). In the 18th century there were many Channons living in Exeter and Tiverton, and it is not always possible to establish their precise relationship to each other.