Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 32
Adye, Thomas, London, carver and sculptor (1730–53). Responsible for the carved mahogany ballot box supplied in 1738 to the Society of Dilettanti for whom he had been appointed sculptor.
Aycliffe (or Ayliffe), Thomas jnr, London, turner and chairmaker (1760–d. 1805). ‘Turner in Ordinary to his MAJESTY’. Originally at the corner of Gt Newport St but by 1762 had moved to 49 Wardour St which he used as ware rooms.
Baron, William jnr, Whimple St, facing Broad St, Plymouth, Devon, cm, u, auctioneer, appraiser, undertaker, patent mangle and household furniture dealer (1822–26).
Bennington & Co., address unrecorded, lampmakers (1832). On 13 August 1832 supplied 24 ornamental double branch socket lights for lustres in Library and Drawing Room for Windsor Castle, costing £29 6s. [PRO, LC 11/77]
Browne & Co., 53 University St, Fitzroy Sq., London, scagliola works (1835–39). In June 1839 supplied twenty-two scagliola pedestals with Ravaccione marble bases, costing £264, for the Sculpture Gallery at Buckingham Palace.
Chew, William, 12 Lord St, Liverpool, u and cm (b. 1784–d. 1824). Initially traded in partnership with his father John Chew under the style ‘Chew & Son’.
Chippendale, Thomas jnr, London, cm (b. 1749–d. 1822). The eldest of his illustrious father's children, was bapt. at St Paul's, Covent Gdn on 23 April 1749.
Chippendale, William, Farnley, Yorks., joiner (1735–70). Second cousin to Thomas Chippendale snr. In 1767–68 erected a second storey over the school house at Burnt Yates, Yorks.
Coade, Eleanor and her successors, London (1769–c. 1840). Eleanor Coade (b. 1733–d. 1821) made an artificial stone at Narrow Wall, Lambeth, which so successfully imitated natural limestone that it has been mistaken for it ever since.
Collins, William, Tothill Fields, London, (1812–23).
Daguerre, Dominique, Sloane St, Chelsea, London, cm (1789–d. 1796). A refugee French dealer who fled to London in 1793.
Faraday, Robert, address unrecorded, brass and lamp manufacturer (1838–40). Worked at Buckingham Palace, 1838–40, repairing music tables, desks, candelabra etc. [PRO, LC11/101 and 110]
Fisher, Jabez Henry, Exeter, Devon, carver and gilder (1826–30). In 1826 he succeeded to the business of Duchemin at 7 High St, adding stationery, art materials, pier tables, cornices, frames and lamps to the stock.
Hancock & Rixon, address unrecorded, lamp lustre makers (1832–38). By 31 March 1838 trading as Hancock, Rixon & Dant.
Harraden, —, London, carver, gilder and printseller (1792–94). Addresses given on trade cards at 78 Wells St, Oxford St in 1792, and 16 Little Newport St, Leicester Sq., 1793–94.
Hewitt, John & William, 131 and 160 Goswell St, London, kitchen furniture and lamps, wholesale dealer in lanthorn leaves (1819–37). [D]
Hodgson, Joseph, Liverpool, cm and u (1818–19). Trading at 2 Limekiln Lane in 1818. Marriage to Miss Mary Ann Alderson, lamp and oil merchant, on Tuesday 13 April 1819, reported in Liverpool Mercury, 23 April. [D]
Hunt, Benjamin, Brighton, Sussex, cm and u (1805–d.1824). Owned workshop and premises at top of Dorset Gdns, Edward St, 1805–07; recorded in St James's St, 1805–24, no. 27 in 1822, and no. 31, 1823–24.
Insull, Henry, New St, Worcester, cm (1812–40). App. to John Timmings of Worcester, cm and u, and free 5 October 1812. In 1830 may have been employed by Anderson & Perry of 59 Foregate St, as an Insull appears in an account sent to J. S.
Le Sage, John, St James's, London carver (1685–1706). A craftsman probably of Huguenot extraction, who attracted Royal and aristocratic patronage. In 1699 he was working on the decoration of the Presence Chamber at Hampton Court.
May, William, Sharp, Peter & Wilson, Isabella, Liverpool, u, dealers and chapmen, cm and modellers (1817). Declared bankrupt, and sale of stock and effects advertised in Liverpool Mercury, 10 January 1817.
Mayhew, John (1736–d. 1811) and Ince, William (d. 1804), London, cm.
Nickson, Samuel, Bridge St Row, Chester, cm and u (1802–27). Listed also at Commercial Buildings in 1816. Free 3 July 1802. Subscribed to Sheraton's Cabinet Dictionary, 1803.
Norris, William, 16 John St, Oxford Mkt, London, upholder (1790–93). On 26 April 1792 he was paid 11s 6d for a deal table and lamp supplied for use at Harewood House, Hanover Sq., the London home of Edward, 1st Earl of Harewood.
Potter, Thomas, address unknown, cm (1735–38). On 10 May 1735 he was paid £19 by Sir Justinian Isham for a communion table for Lamport Church, Northants. Amongst the Stourhead, Wilts.