Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 77
Adair, William Robert, London, carver and gilder (1777–85). Initially carried on his business from 26 Wardour St, Soho, which had been earlier used by John Adair.
Alken, Sefferin, London, carver (1744–83). In 1744 his address was given as St James's, Westminster, and from 1760 he was at Dufour's Ct, Broad St, Golden Sq.
Anderson, Jonathan & Perry, Joshua, 59 Foregate St, Worcester, paper hangers, decorative house sign and furniture painters, carvers, gilders and frame makers (1820–33).
Ansell, Robert, Edward St, Cavendish Sq., London, carver and gilder (1767–80). In 1777 insured his workshop in Edward St with utensils and stock with the Sun Fire Office for £600. Insured house in Margaret St, Cavendish Sq. in 1775 for £500.
Arbunot, Jacob, London, cm and looking-glass manufacturer (1709–d. 1722). In 1709 his address is recorded as the south side of Long Acre.
Armstrong, Michael, Widemarsh St, Hereford, carver in wood and stone, gilder and picture frame maker (1776).
Ayton, Jacob, 73 Berners St, London, carver, gilder and picture frame maker (1777). His trade card announced that he sold ‘all sorts of Green & Gold Dressing Glasses, Pier Glasses, Girandoles, etc.’. Declared bankrupt, Gents Mag., July 1777.
Bedwell, William, the Butter Mkt, Ipswich, Suffolk, joiner and cm (1723–42). As only joiner he took out a Sun Insurance policy on 6 January 1723 for £200 on his dwelling house in the parish of St Stephen.
Belchier, John, ‘The Sun’, South side of St Paul's Churchyard, London, cm (1717–d. 1753). A craftsman whose surname might suggest a Huguenot origin.
Bell, J., north side of the Square, Stockton-on-Tees, Co. Durham, carver and gilder (1824).
Blackburn(e), John, Liverpool, u (1772–83). Trading at Fenwick St, in 1772, with warehouse at 12 High St, 1773–74; and Pownall Sq., 1781–83. Admitted freeman on 23 July 1772.
Boson, John, London, carver (1720–d. 1743). When John Boson died in April 1743 he had become one of a select group of craftsmen closely connected with the designs of William Kent.
Bradburn(e), John, London, cm, u, appraiser, undertaker (1750–d. 1781).
Brown, James, St Paul's Churchyard, London, u and cm (1747–96). Traded initially at the sign of ‘The King's Arms’ on the south side of St Paul's Churchyard which had been previously used by Christopher Gibson.
Byfield, Thomas, Soho, London, carver and gilder (1793–1827). Recorded in partnership with James Byfield at 16 Wardour St in 1793 and alone at 39 Old Compton St, 1809–25.
Cashen, Henry, Liverpool, carver and gilder (1827–35). Son of William Cashen. Admitted freeman, 19 February 1827. Address initially 77 Whitechapel, but by 1832 in partnership with his brother Edward at Adelaide Buildings, Ranelagh Pl.
Chippendale, Thomas snr, London, cm (b. 1718–d. 1779).
Cobb, John, 72 St Martin's Lane, London, u and cm (c. 1715– 78). John Cobb was presumably the one of that name put app. in 1729 to Tim Money, a Norwich u, for £45. [GL, Boyd's app. lists, vol. VI, p.
Cribb, Robert, High Holborn, London, carver, gilder and print seller (1790–1834).
Crichton, David, 28 King St, Soho, London, cm and lookingglass maker (1774–81). Appears to have attracted important patrons.
Cuenot, John Antoine, Warwick St, Golden Sq., London, carver (1744–62). Although included in Mortimer's London Directory of 1763 he had probably died the year previously and the John Cuenot at this address in 1763 was his son.
Cullen, James, 56 Greek St, Soho, London, u and cm (1754–79). Listed in London directories between 1765 and 1779.
Cutter, Charles, Warwick St, Golden Sq., London, carver and gilder and painter (1805–18). Trading from 22 Warwick Sq. by July 1806 when he took out insurance cover of £550 which included £250 in respect of stock, utensils and goods in trust.
Dallain, Isaac, London, carver and gilder (1768–82). Recorded in partnership with R. Harding at 7 Berwick St in 1782 as ‘successors to Mr. Gossett’.
Dawes, John & Noyes, Edward, near the ‘Feathers Inn’, Bridge St Row, Chester, carvers, gilders, picture dealers and looking-glass manufacturers (1828–30).