Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 39
Bealing, Richard, London, u (1672–1711). Named frequently in the Royal Household accounts between 1688–1711, supplying bedding, cushions, upholstered furniture, curtains etc.
Beckwith, William, 101 St Martin's Lane, London, cm and u (1789). A relative, possibly son of Samuel Beckwith.
Bone, Henry, Truro, Cornwall, then Plymouth, Devon, carver and worker in wood (1755–72).
Boson, John, London, carver (1720–d. 1743). When John Boson died in April 1743 he had become one of a select group of craftsmen closely connected with the designs of William Kent.
Bramah, J. & Sons, west end of Piccadilly, London, ‘Patent Engine Lock & Water Closet Manufacturer’ (1807–23).
Bullock, George, Liverpool and London, cm (b. 1777/78– d. 1818).
Burrows, George & James, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Tunbridge-ware manufacturers (1828–40). James Burrows was a partner of William Burrows in 1827 but in the following year this was dissolved and a fresh partnership with George Burrows established.
Burton, Sam., parish of All Saints, Cambridge, joiner (1665–75). Recorded in the account bks of Trinity College, 1665–68, mending forms, seats, table and desk; and in 1667 supplying ‘a new table for the Upper Buttry’, 15s.
Chippendale, Thomas snr, London, cm (b. 1718–d. 1779).
Coade, Eleanor and her successors, London (1769–c. 1840). Eleanor Coade (b. 1733–d. 1821) made an artificial stone at Narrow Wall, Lambeth, which so successfully imitated natural limestone that it has been mistaken for it ever since.
Cobb, John, 72 St Martin's Lane, London, u and cm (c. 1715– 78). John Cobb was presumably the one of that name put app. in 1729 to Tim Money, a Norwich u, for £45. [GL, Boyd's app. lists, vol. VI, p.
Colombine, Paul, Norwich, u (1721–86). Son of Francis Colombine of Norwich, physician. App. to William Braithwaite of London 8 April 1714 and admitted a freeman of the Upholders’ Co. by servitude on 2 August 1721.
Curtis, John, Wisbech, Cambs., cm, u and chairmaker (1768–1824).
Dingle, Daniel, Exeter, Devon, cm (1826–40). Trading in Cowick St, 1831–34; 3 Bridge St, 1833; and New Bridge St, 1836–40. Son William bapt. at St Thomas's Church on 16 July 1826.
Dudley, Thomas, King St, Soho Sq., London, metal ornament and bell-hanging manufactory (1817–20). Trading at no. 34 in 1817 and no. 36 in 1820.
Edmonds, —, address unrecorded, ‘inventor’ (1744). Notice in Daily Advertiser, 23 April 1744 concerned the sale ‘by Order of the Creditors of Mr.
Farrington, Richard snr and jnr, Newcastle, carvers and gilders, cm and u (1778–1844). Recorded at Painter-heugh, 1778–87; Broad Chair, 1787–1806; Farrington's Ct, 8 Bigg Mkt, 1806–44; and also 10 Eldon Pl., 1833–44.
Fentham, Thomas, London, carver, gilder, glass grinder and picture frame maker (1774–1825). Trading at 49 Strand in 1777; no. 52, ‘opposite Old Round Court’, 1778–93; no. 51 in 1784; and 136 Strand, near Somerset House, 1794–1820.
Ferrand, Thomas, York, carver, gilder and frame maker (b. 1786–d. 1852). Trading in partnership with William Dodgson in Coney St, 1814–16, when the partnership was dissolved. Ferrand is recorded alone in Stonegate in 1823; and at 7 Mount, 1828–30.
Francis, William, 104 New Bond St, London, cm and u (1793–1840). For details of Francis's career in partnership with his brother-in-law see entry on Charles Elliott.
Gates, William, St Martin's Lane, London, cm (1774–after 1800). William Gates was a cm who specialized in fine inlay and engraved woodwork.
Gomm, William & Richard, London, cm and u (c. 1698–1794). William Gomm was born c. 1698 the son of Richard Gomm, a yeoman farmer of Chinnor, Oxon. In 1713 he was app. to Hugh Maskall of London, a member of the Leathersellers’ Co.
Hervé, François, Johns (or John) St, London, cm and chairmaker (1781–96).
Hildebrand, —, temporarily in London, ‘Proprietor and Maker of the most Magnificent Cabinet in the World’. A notice, c. 1780, advertised the spectacle of his extraordinary cabinet at ‘Mr.
Humble, John, address unrecorded. In 1828 supplied a set of heavily carved elm dining room furniture, consisting of a table, ten chairs, two armchairs and a cellaret, to Nunnykirk House, Northumb.