Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 66
Anderton, Henry, Liverpool, cm and upholder (1811–19). In 1811 traded from 18 Sir Thomas Buildings and in the same year is recorded at 2 Marble St with a partner called Jamieson.
Bealing, Richard, London, u (1672–1711). Named frequently in the Royal Household accounts between 1688–1711, supplying bedding, cushions, upholstered furniture, curtains etc.
Beckwith, John, 5 Rathbone Pl., Oxford St, London, upholder and cm (1806–16). Also recorded at 8 Stangate St, Lambeth, in 1808. Trade card [Banks Coll., BM] shows Grecian sofa and elaborate draped window pelmet, and reads ‘from St. Martin's Lane’.
Bell, Daniel, London, cm and u (1725–31).
Boon, John, 9 Duke St, Liverpool, with shop at 1 Waterloo Pl., Church St, cm and u (1827). Declared bankrupt, Liverpool Mercury, 25 May 1827.
Bradshaw, William, London, cm, u and ‘tapissier’ (1728–d. 1775). Workshops at Frith St, 1728–32; the ‘Gr. House’, 27 Soho Sq. and 59–60 Greek St, 1732–47; 60 Greek St, 1748–51; no. 59, 1752–55; and Princes St, Hanover Sq., 1756–62.
Brown, W., 6 Gt George St, Liverpool, cm and u (1832–34). Advertised in Liverpool Mercury, 18 May 1832, that he ‘has removed from 41 St. James Street to No. 6 Great George Street’. Sale of stock announced, same paper, 2 May 1834, ‘of Mr. W.
Brumfitt, Edward, Skipton, Yorks., cm (1827–37). Addresses given at Chancery Lane in 1822; Market Pl., 1828–29; and High St, 1837. Named in the Holy Trinity Church PR in 1827.
Carter, Thomas, London, cm, u and paperhanger (1802–15). At 8 Hanover St, Hanover Sq. from 1802–07 when the address changed to 141 Oxford St. In 1808 supplied to Farnley Hall, Otley, Yorks.
Cure, George, the ‘Three Golden Chairs’, Haymarket, London, u (1721–d. 1759). Probably the son and successor of the George Cure working in London in the same trade, 1691– 1718. The business operated by George Cure jnr was of a substantial nature.
Dawe(s) (or Daws), Robert, 17 Margaret St, Cavendish Sq., London, cm, u and recumbent chair manufacturer (1820–39). Trading at 33 Edgware Rd in 1839. Also listed at Harlington, Middlx in 1838.
Dowbiggin(g) (or Dowbiggen), Thomas, Mount St, London, Royal cm and u (b. 1788–d. 1854). After long neglect, Dowbiggin has at last come to light as probably the most highly reputed and successful cm of the 2nd quarter of the 19th century.
Durham, John, London, cm and u (1821–35). Trading at 16 Catherine St, Strand, 1823–28; and 16 Rupert St, Haymarket, 1829–35. Stock consisted of varieties of folding, camp and field beds, combined settee, couch and cabinet beds.
Edwards, John, Liverpool, cm (1824–39).
Elward, George & Marsh, William, succeeded by Elward, Marsh & Bailey; Elward, Marsh & Tatham; Marsh & Tatham; Tatham & Bailey; Tatham, Bailey & Saunders; Bailey & Saunders; Edward Bailey; Mount St, near Charles St, London, cm
Gammage (or Gamidge), Robert, ‘The Crown’, two doors above the School, St Paul's Churchyard, London, chairmaker (1710–d. by 1725).
Gardner, William, ‘The One Cane Chair’, south side of St Paul's Churchyard, London, cane chairmaker (1703–12). The date 1703 appears on his trade card and is probably the date of the establishment of the business.
Geake, Thomas, Westgate St, Launceston, Cornwall, cm and u (1824–30). Between February 1829 and September 1830 supplied substantial quantities of furniture and furnishings to a N. Lawrence Esq.
Gilding, Edmund, Red Cross St, London, cm and chairmaker (1739–d. 1757). Supplied furniture to Sir Richard Hoare, a partner in Hoare's Bank and Lord Mayor of London in 1745. This was for Barn Elms House.
Glanville, Thomas, address unknown, u (1729). On 20 March 1729 submitted to the Earl of Rockingham an account for £3 15s 8d, the main item being ‘a couch bed ye box wainscot’ at £1 12s.
Goertz, H. L. (Heinrich Ludwig or Henry Louis), Windsor, Berks., u and cm (1814–40). Goertz apparently immigrated to England from his native Hanover between 1799 and 1802 when that city was under Napoleonic threat.
Gordon, John and Taitt, John and Richard, London, cm and upholders (1748–96). Although the firm of John Gordon and John Taitt received a number of important commissions in the 1770s, relatively little is known about the two partners’ early careers.
Gouldie, James, 27 Ranelagh St, Liverpool, cm and u (1805–c. 1820).
Guibert, Philip, German St, St James's, London, upholder (1692–1739). In both 1708 and 1715 took out insurance cover of £450 on a house in German St.
Hallett, William snr, Gt Newport St, Long Acre, London, cm (b. c. 1707–d. 1781), Hallett, William jnr, cm (c. 1730–d. 1767). In 1938 the late R. W. Symonds published an article on Hallett, Vile and Cobb [Conn., April 1938, pp.