Skip to main content

Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.

Filter results

Search results

Displaying 1 - 23 of 23

Adams, George, London, u, cm, auctioneer and undertaker (1777–1828). Initially at 42 Haydon Sq., Minories, but from 1788 address changed to 122 Minories. Son of George Adams of Canterbury, innholder. App.

Baron, William jnr, Whimple St, facing Broad St, Plymouth, Devon, cm, u, auctioneer, appraiser, undertaker, patent mangle and household furniture dealer (1822–26).

Bradburn(e), John, London, cm, u, appraiser, undertaker (1750–d. 1781).

Brown, W., 6 Gt George St, Liverpool, cm and u (1832–34). Advertised in Liverpool Mercury, 18 May 1832, that he ‘has removed from 41 St. James Street to No. 6 Great George Street’. Sale of stock announced, same paper, 2 May 1834, ‘of Mr. W.

Copland, Henry, Gutter Lane, Cheapside, London, engraver and designer (1720–d. 1753). Trained as a silver engraver. App. to goldsmiths in 1720 and 1724. His engraved work popularised the Rococo style.

Dover, W., address unrecorded. Provided Nicholas Pearse of Loughton, Essex, and Bloomsbury, London, with two hall chairs, receiving £2 15s on 26 April 1814. [Essex RO, D/DHt A1/4] See J. Dover.

Gordon, John and Taitt, John and Richard, London, cm and upholders (1748–96). Although the firm of John Gordon and John Taitt received a number of important commissions in the 1770s, relatively little is known about the two partners’ early careers.

Hallpike, V., Settle, Yorks., cm (1798–1837). Two mahogany hall chairs, c.1800, at Skipton Museum are of circular back pattern and impressed under seat rail ‘V. HALLPIKE’. [D]

Harmer, B., address unrecorded. Early 19th-century library reading chair recorded bearing the stamp of ‘B. HARMER’. [Christchurch Mansion, Ipswich, Ipswich Museums and Art Galleries, L.

Hepplewhite, George, Redcross St, Cripplegate, London, cm (d. 1786). A very elusive figure recorded in only one trade directory [Lowndes, 1786] as Kepplewhite & Son (sic), cm of 48 Redcross St.

Kennett, Robert & Kidd, William, London, u (1766–95). Amongst the Chancery Masters’ Exhibits in the PRO is an account book of a furniture-making firm for 1792–95.

Lawson, James, 4 Chandos St, Covent Gdn, London, cm (1763–78). In the period 1763–65 recorded in directories as James & Peter Lawson but after 1767 solely as James Lawson.

Martin & Parry, address unrecorded. On 8 January 1832 supplied Sir Charles Blois of Cockfield Hall, Yoxford, Suffolk, with three hall chairs costing £7 8s. [Suffolk RO, HA30: 312/418] Probably:

Masters, William, at ‘The Golden Fleece’, Coventry St, Piccadilly, London, cm, upholder, appraiser and undertaker (c. 1740–61).

Mayhew, John (1736–d. 1811) and Ince, William (d. 1804), London, cm.

Moore, James jnr, London, cm and u (c. 1690–d. by 1734). We have no record of James Moore's birth, but as his father, James snr was born c. 1670 it might be assumed as c. 1690. He was presumably app. to his father, but again there is no confirmation.

Naish, Catherine, St Mary-le-Strand, London, u and chairmaker (1759–72). A noted supplier of furniture to the Royal family.

Nix, George, London, cm (1744–51). Information about George Nix is somewhat sparse. In 1716 he is described as ‘citizen and joiner’ and recorded taking app. named Edward, son of Edward Halfhide, citizen and joiner, on 15 August for a payment of £15.

Oakey, —, Liverpool, cm (1819). On 10 December 1819 Messrs Taylor & Pinnington advertised the coming sale of Oakey's utensils and stock ‘on the Premises 25 Tarleton-street Church-street’.

Oakley, George (& various partners), London, cm and u (1773–1840).

Owen, John, Liverpool, u (1790–d. 1830). At 12 St Peter St, 1790–96 and 1813–14; but from 1804–11 the number was 41. In 1813–14 at 32 Standish St, and from 1816–21 at Gloucester St.

Seddon, George, Aldersgate St, London, cm (1753–1868).

Toplis, James, London, cm, decorative u and auctioneer (1790–1828). Addresses given at 9 Old Broad St in 1798; 1 Godfrey Ct, Milk St in 1802; 22 St Paul's Churchyard, 1811– 28; and as James Toplis & Co. at nos 22–23, 1814–20.