Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 36
Arbuthnot, Philip, Villers St, Strand, London, cm, japanner and looking-glass seller (1702–27). One of the most fashionable furniture suppliers of the first decades of the 18th century.
Baldock, Edward Holmes, Hanway St, London, furniture dealer, restorer, etc. (b. 1777–d. 1845). Born on 14 May 1777. Married on 19 November 1811 Mary Goringe, the daughter of John and Sarah Goringe of Buxted, Sussex.
Bates, Edmund, 8 Wellington St, Leeds, Yorks., carver in wood, draughtsman and gilder.
Bullock, George, Liverpool and London, cm (b. 1777/78– d. 1818).
Channon, John, 109 St Martin's Lane, London, cm (b. 1711–d. c. 1783). In the 18th century there were many Channons living in Exeter and Tiverton, and it is not always possible to establish their precise relationship to each other.
Collins, William, Tothill Fields, London, (1812–23).
De Caix, Alexander, 15 Rupert St, Coventry St, London, water gilder and burnisher (1791–1819).
Dudley, Thomas, King St, Soho Sq., London, metal ornament and bell-hanging manufactory (1817–20). Trading at no. 34 in 1817 and no. 36 in 1820.
Elliott, Charles, London, cm and u (1752–d. 1832) and successors. Charles Elliott was one of the chief London cm of the late 18th century. He held royal appointments from 1783–c.
Elward, George & Marsh, William, succeeded by Elward, Marsh & Bailey; Elward, Marsh & Tatham; Marsh & Tatham; Tatham & Bailey; Tatham, Bailey & Saunders; Bailey & Saunders; Edward Bailey; Mount St, near Charles St, London, cm
Fuhrlohg, Christopher, 24 Tottenham Ct Rd, between Percy St and Hanaway Yd, 22 Gerard St, and 12 Gt Russell St, Bloomsbury, London, cm, inlayer and u (b. c. 1740–d. after 1787). Christopher Fuhrlohg came from a Swiss family which emigrated to Sweden.
Galletti, William & Anthony, Liverpool, carvers, gilders, print sellers and opticians (1821–39). Established their business at 10 Castle St in November 1821 after having previously lived in Glasgow.
Hodson, John, London, upholder and cm (1709–86). Son of Thomas Hodson, innholder of Lincoln. App. to Thomas Arne jnr on 23 February 1709, and admitted freeman of the Upholders’ Co. by servitude on 3 December 1718. Took app.
Jamar, S., London and Liverpool, cm (1818–26). In 1818 at 29 Wardour St, Soho. In February of that year he advertised his range of furniture in the French manner which he manufactured in London.
Kampf, Frederick, address unknown, cm (1805). In 1805 supplied to the Princess of Wales an ‘Antique circular table with Sphinx Egyptian Feet with inlaid brass and brass fret gallery’ at £52 10s.
Langlois, Pierre, 39 Tottenham Ct Rd, London, cm (1759–81). Pierre Langlois was one of the leading cm in London in the 1760s and 1770s.
Meggitt, Thomas, Hull, Yorks., carver and gilder (1826–39).
Moore, James snr, Nottingham Ct, Short's Gdns, St Giles-in-the-Fields, London, cm (c. 1670–d. 1726). Moore may be the ‘James Moore’ born to James and Mary Moore, and christened on 10 December 1670 at St Dunstan's, Stepney.
Morel, Nicholas and Morel & Hughes, Robert, London, cm and u (1790–1830).
Nairn, Thomas, 15 Rupert St, Liverpool, carver and gilder (1827–32). His trade card [Landauer Coll., MMA, NY] states that he cleaned and repaired old paintings, ‘Branches for Lights, Paintings, Looking Glasses Prints & Needle Work Framed.
Nix, George, London, cm (1744–51). Information about George Nix is somewhat sparse. In 1716 he is described as ‘citizen and joiner’ and recorded taking app. named Edward, son of Edward Halfhide, citizen and joiner, on 15 August for a payment of £15.
Oakley, George (& various partners), London, cm and u (1773–1840).
Owen, John, Liverpool, u (1790–d. 1830). At 12 St Peter St, 1790–96 and 1813–14; but from 1804–11 the number was 41. In 1813–14 at 32 Standish St, and from 1816–21 at Gloucester St.
Parker, Thomas, London, cm and buhl manufacturer (1805–30). At 19 Air St, Piccadilly from 1808–17 but by 1820 in Warwick St, Golden Sq., where the number was 22 to 1827 but 32 in 1829–30.
Powell, Joseph, Hereford, carver and gilder (1828–35). At St Owen St in 1830 and Broad St in 1835. Supplied frames and glasses, and gold and bronze ornamental brackets to Capt. N. L.