Search our furniture makers database, comprising of multiple sources.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 703
Adams, George, London, u, cm, auctioneer and undertaker (1777–1828). Initially at 42 Haydon Sq., Minories, but from 1788 address changed to 122 Minories. Son of George Adams of Canterbury, innholder. App.
Adams, George snr, cm (d. 1773). Small inlaid mahogany cabinet of c. 1750 by this maker belongs to University College, Oxford (on loan to the Museum of the History of Science).
Adamson, Robert, Fenchurch St, London, cm, joiner and mahogany turner (1751–66). His trade card [Heal; MMA; NY] states that he ‘Makes all sorts of Cabinet Looking Glasses and Mahogany Goods at the lowest Prices. NB.
Addison, John, address unrecorded. Supplied a pair of 36 in. globes ‘elegantly mounted in richly carved mahogany frames and the metallic parts made of mosaic gold’ to George IV in November 1829 at a cost of £157 16s. [Windsor RA, 25447]
Adye, Thomas, London, carver and sculptor (1730–53). Responsible for the carved mahogany ballot box supplied in 1738 to the Society of Dilettanti for whom he had been appointed sculptor.
Alderman, J., 16 Soho Sq., London, inventor, patentee and manufacturer (c. 1830–40).
Aldersey, Thomas, London, glass grinder, cm and u (1754–81). In 1754 established at Addle St where he was employing one freeman as a chairmaker and one non-freeman as a glass seller.
Alken, Sefferin, London, carver (1744–83). In 1744 his address was given as St James's, Westminster, and from 1760 he was at Dufour's Ct, Broad St, Golden Sq.
Allin, William, Newark, Notts., cm (1770–88). Insured with the Sun Fire Office in 1776 for a total of £1,000 of which £400 was for utensils and stock.
Anderton, Henry, Liverpool, cm and upholder (1811–19). In 1811 traded from 18 Sir Thomas Buildings and in the same year is recorded at 2 Marble St with a partner called Jamieson.
Anning, John, Broad St, Lyme Regis, Dorset, cm and u (1829–40). Married a Miss Reader of Lyme in December 1829. Inscription recorded on drawer of mahogany bow-front toilet mirror: ‘Mr. John Anning Cabinet maker Lyme 1833 Dorset’.
Anson, G., Broadmead, Bristol, carver and gilder (before 1798). Ceased business in June 1798 when his stock and tools were sold by auction.
Appleyard, George, Church St, Conisbrough, Yorks., cm and u, paper hanger and decorator. Mahogany and satinwood Davenport at Cusworth Hall Museum bears this maker's label.
Arbuthnot, Philip, Villers St, Strand, London, cm, japanner and looking-glass seller (1702–27). One of the most fashionable furniture suppliers of the first decades of the 18th century.
Armitrage, —, address unrecorded. Named in the Holkham Hall accounts, 1739, in connection with the supply of a dressing table ‘for my Lord’ at £2 12s 6d, and a mahogany ‘voider & pail’. [V & A archives]
Astle, Thomas jnr, Eastgate St, Chester, cm (1782–93).
Atkinson, Thomas, 38 and 39 Ludgate Hill, London, cm, u and undertaker (1820–24). Initially trading as Loader & Atkinson. The premises were at the corner of the ‘Belle Sauvage’, an important London coaching inn.
Audley, William jnr & John, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs., u, cm and auctioneers (1812–39). Initially at Lad Lane but by 1822 had in addition premises in the High St. In the period 1818–22 the business is referred to as William Audley & Sons.
Bailey, Edward, 13 and 14 Mount St, Grosvenor Sq., London, cm, u and undertaker (1809–40).
Bailey, Thomas, Conduit St, Hanover Sq., London, upholder and cm (1766–74). On 17 November 1766 he sent Mr Bennet a bill for ‘a neat mahogany Pembroke table — £2 9s.’ plus oddments totalling 2s 6d.
Baines, Henry, Lancaster, joiner and cm (1739–84). Admitted freeman as a joiner, 1739–40, and took eighteen app. joiners and cm between 3 September 1744 and 15 October 1785.
Baker, Barnard, Covent Gdn, London, upholder and cm (1751–d. 1796). Trading in King St in 1776 and at 23 Bedford St, 1778–96. Son of John Baker of Shelley, Essex, farmer. App. to Elizabeth Hutt, widow of J. Hutt, clothworker.
Ballard, J., Nuneaton, Warks., plumber, glazier, house and sign painter, gilder and varnisher (c. 1760).
Banks, —, address unrecorded (1750). Cited in the Holkham Hall accounts in 1750 as being paid £2 2s for a mahogany dining table, and £9 for a small wainscot table.
Banting, France & Co., 27 St James's St, London, cm and u (1813–40).