Jordan, George

Newcastle; joiner, cabinet maker and broker(1811–34)
At Dog-bank, 1811–16, but in July 1816 announced his move to ‘a large house adjoining the old Bird-in-Bush Inn, Pilgrim St.’. In 1827 an address at Fountain Yd, Pipewell St is shown in one directory but the Pilgrim St premises appear to have been retained and in 1833–34 were numbered 189. In this year he was also using 43 Carliol St. He kept a stock of new and secondhand furniture and claimed to manufacture new goods. His stock consisted of ‘double, dressing, straight & circular fronted lobby chests of drawers, new & second-hand; sets of dining tables, single large & small ditto, turnover pembroke & wainscot ditto; mahogany chairs, beech, black, rush & cane bottomed ditto; sofas; night tables; wash stands; dressing tables; mahogany four-post bed steads; birch & beech ditto, camp ditto, with or without hangings; mahogany circular & straight-fronted lobby beds, wainscot ditto; mahogany wardrobe beds & other ditto; secretaires & bookcases; feathers & feather beds; new and secondhand carpets, carpeting etc. best hangings in different-kinds. KITCHEN FURNITURE OF ALL KINDS’. He stated that he bought, sold and exchanged all sorts of furniture and supplied goods on advantageous terms to country dealers. [D; Durham County Advertiser, 13 July 1816, 25 October and 7 June 1817, 16 May 1818]