Skip to main content

Daguerre, Dominique (1789-96)

Daguerre, Dominique, Sloane St, Chelsea, London, cm (1789–d. 1796). A refugee French dealer who fled to London in 1793. He was purveyor of furniture to Louis XVI and styled ‘Marchand privilégé de la Cour’, his shop in Paris being at the sign of the ‘Couronne d'Or’, Rue St Honoré. He is mentioned in D'Oberkirch's Memoirs as having there a fine sideboard, which was to be sent to the Duke of Northumberland. In 1785 he supplied furniture to the 2nd Earl Spencer at Althorp. [D. Stroud, Henry Holland, 1966, pp. 145–46] In 1789 he sent in a bill to the English Crown for £1,659 for ‘carving and gilding done by S. Nelson by order of Mr. Dagare’. After his arrival in London he entered into partnership with another Frenchman, M. E. Lingereux, at a shop in Sloane St. From there the firm supplied a large quantity of costly furniture for Carlton House, including some gilt armchairs and sofas, which are still in the Royal Collection and bear Daguerre's label. He claimed £15,000 in the proceedings of the Commissioners for the settlement of the Prince's debts. [DEF; H. Clifford Smith, Buckingham Palace, pl. 169–70; Salverte, Les Ebénistes du XVIIIe Siècle; Jourdain, Regency Furniture; G. de Bellaigue, Waddesdon Catalogue, 11, pp. 858–59] Daguerre is named in Henry Holland's accounts for furniture supplied to Woburn Abbey, Beds., costing £107 5s 6d. Items included four lamps with two burners for the Billiard Room, £12, and two writing tables for the Dressing Room of the East Apartment. [Bedford Office, London; Beds. RO, Russell Estate papers] Lord Palmerston purchased girandoles and a clock from Daguerre for Broadlands in 1790. [C. Life, 5 February 1981]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.