Armitage, William

Leeds, Yorks.; upholder, appraiser and cabinet maker(1769–79)
In September 1769 announced that he had moved his shop from Kirkgate to ‘the Back of the Shambles where Mr Joseph Wilson, Book seller lately dwells’. From the new address he offered a large assortment of paper hangings, fabrics, carpets and bedding. In May of the year following he stated that he had just returned from London and could offer from his shop ‘Near the Town Hall’ a wide selection of paper hangings, carpets and furniture. By 1773 he had moved once again to the sign of the ‘Chest of Drawers and Chair’ near the ‘New Inn’ in Briggate. Here he was able to offer ‘Italian and Spring Blinds for Windows; Pier Looking Glasses, Mahogany, Rose and Swing ditto, Green and Gold, Blue and Gold and Black and Gold ditto for Ladies Toilets; Paper Machee Ornaments for Rooms and Chimney Pieces, etc. and Girandoles in Gold and ornamented Frames …’. He was patronised by Edwin Lascelles of Harewood House, Yorks., on several occasions. On 2 December 1771 he charged for fabrics, feathers, hair etc., £23 16s 7d; on 20 May 1774 for four stool frames with mahogany feet, £1; and on 6 November 1776 for ‘a couch frame mahog'y with castors’, mahogany pillars, tester ironwork and ‘2 chairs stuffed to Canvas’, £5 4s. Some of the items were utilised by Thomas Chippendale's workmen. Armitage was declared bankrupt in July 1779. [Leeds Mercury, 12 September 1769, 29 May 1770, 11 May 1773, 25 May 1779; Leeds RO, Harewood MS 385, 386; Furn. Hist., 1965; Gents Mag., July 1779]