Adair, John

London; carver and gilder(1749–69)
Recorded at St Ann's Ct, Covent Gdn in 1749 but by 1763 was established at Wardour St, Soho. Worked at Shardeloes, Bucks., Croome Ct and the Church of St Mary Magdelene, Croome D'Abitot, Worcs. and Syon House, Brentford. [D; poll bk; Conn., June 1981, p.145] Worked at Audley End, Essex, from September 1767 to February 1768 for Sir John Griffin Griffin, providing picture and mirror frames, mirror plates and gilt architraves, etc. The account of 1767 amounts to £25 18s. [Essex RO, D/ DBy/A27/6] The accounts for work done at Shugborough, Staffs., submitted in 1763, amount to £65 16s 6d, and list carving capitals and making and regilding frames. Work under James Stuart's supervision continued until 1769. [Staffs. RO, Anson papers, D615E (H) 1/1; C. Life, 4 March 1954; C. Life Annual, 1965, p.54] Regarding work at Syon House, Brentford, a letter from the Duke of Northumberland, dated 4 November 1764, complained about ‘those Carved Mouldings which have been so ill executed by Mr. Adair’. [C. Life Annual, 1965, p.54]