Swan, John, Cambridge, cm, u, auctioneer, appraiser and estate agent (1824–45). Living in Jesus Lane, parish of All Saints, 1824–26 when two of his children were bapt. Trading in Sidney St in 1830, and in October of the following year advertised that he was converting premises next to his own (in Sidney St) into a cabinet and upholstery warehouse. Swan claimed that he had been employed by Elliot Smith for thirteen years and that the latter was ‘declining the cabinet and upholstery business’. He also stated that he had taken on some of Elliot Smith's former employees. Some of the furniture that he sold was bought in from other makers but in April 1832 he stated that ‘his Mahogany, Rosewood, Pollard Oak and Zebra furniture is principally of his own manufacture’. In November 1832 he advised the public that he had in his employment a first rate u who had for many years been in the workshops of Seddons, the important London maker. He also indicated that he sold Daws & Minter's patent recumbent invalid chairs. From 1832–45 he took over Elliot Smith's position as the main furniture supplier to St John's College and also worked for Trinity College, 1831–33. In the St John's College accounts payments are made from 1839 to Swan & Garner. A copy of George Smith's Cabinet Maker's and Upholsterer's Guide, 1826, is known bearing the label ‘John Swan, Upholsterer & Cabinet Maker, Sidney Street, Cambridge. [D; PR (bapt.)]; Cambridge Chronicle, 21 October 1831, 27 April 1832, 23 November 1832; poll bks; archives of Trinity and St John's Colleges] R.W.