Sadgrove, William; Sadgrove & Co.
London; cabinet maker, upholsterer, looking-glass warehouseman and possibly furniture broker (fl. 1817–86)
Successor to his father, Thomas Sadgrove, William continued to trade from the 20–21 Broker's Row, Moorfields address. One directory of 1820 however lists 18, 20 and 21 Eldon Street, Finsbury Circus which is probably the same address.
The Sadgrove trade card held in the John Johnson Collection at the Bodleian Library, Oxford, identifies Sadgrove as a furniture broker at 20 and 21 Broker’s Row. However, whether the card is that of the father or son is not indicated.
The 1845 London Post Office Directory listed W. A. Sadgrove as an upholsterer and cabinet maker at 18, 20 & 21 Eldon Street.
Sadgrove & Co., were recorded as cabinet makers & upholsterers at 4 South Place and 5 Wilson Street, Finsbury, London EC in the 1871 Post Office Directory and also in The Furniture GazetteDirectory, 1877 and The Furniture Gazette 1886 as wholesale cabinet makers at the same addresses. The firm also manufactured furniture for export worldwide.
Walter B. Sadgrove, of 4 South Place, Finsbury, was one of the makers who campaigned for the City & Guilds London Institute to introduce cabinet making into their programme.
Sources: DEFM; Furniture Gazette: Classified List of the Furniture, Upholstery, and Allied Trades, 1886; Agius, British Furniture 1880-1915 (1978); Stabler, ‘Furniture Makers' Trade-Cards and Bill-Heads in the John Johnson Collection’, FHS Newsletter (May 2007).