Skip to main content

Perrin, Henry (1724-37)

Perrin, Henry, London, cm and upholder (1724–37). At ‘The Japan'd Cabinet and Clock’, Fleet Ditch 1724–32. His trade card [Banks Coll., BM] shows his trade sign, with representations of a long case clock and japanned cabinet on an elaborate stand. It indicated that he bought, sold and appraised ‘all Sorts of Household Goods’. In 1729 and 1732 fined for declining parochial office in the parish of St Bride, Fleet St. In 1734 supplied twelve ‘leather bottomed chairs for the Steward's Room’ at Holkham, Norfolk at a cost of £3 5s. By 1737 he had moved to ‘The Great Mahogany Warehouse; Next the stone cutters near the Duke of Newcastle's, Lincoln's Inn Fields’. From this address he supplied to Blickling Hall, Norfolk twelve walnut chairs covered in Spanish leather which with sundries came to £7 13s. The bill dated 6 May 1737 made out to Messrs Townshend & Drury, London, has at its head an engraving of a low lacquer chest on stand surmounted by a large bracket clock. Despite the change in the name of his business premises, to accord with changing taste he appears to have stuck to his old trade sign. A further account of 1737 made out to Thomas Drury Esq. totalled £285 10s 10d, the main items being four Virginian walnut compass chairs at £16 16s, three bedsteads with blue ‘Cherry Furn.’ at £14 5s, ‘a currious Library case, sash Doores’ at £10 10s, two pairs of large mahogany chests of drawers at £10 10s and a fine mahogany frame at £14 14s. [Heal; V&A archives; Norfolk RO, NRS 21089 72 x 1]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.