Marshall, James jnr, York and Leeds, cm, upholder and appraiser (1755–d.1796). Appears to have run businesses either simultaneously or firstly in Leeds, c. 1755–66, then in York from 1768 until his death in 1796. Son of James Marshall snr, joiner of York; admitted freeman of York in 1758, in which year he polled there, but of Leeds. He was recorded in Leeds in 1755, when he took app. named Lambert. In 1761 James Marshall of ‘The Naked Boy in Briggate’, Leeds, supplied to Temple Newsam House, various materials and equipment for ‘Making & Fixing one Drop Curt'n’ costing £1 6s 10d. In 1766 James Marshall jnr advertised in York Courant that he had moved his cabinet and upholstery business to Leeds (presumably from York); and had also ‘lately opened shop in Pontefract’, and needed journeymen in the ‘cabinet & chair branches’. Rococo trade card of James Marshall of Leeds is in the Banks Coll., BM, and shows putto displaying wallpaper. The card lists mainly bed and upholstery materials, including ‘Rabbit down’, but also chairs, tables and other furniture. There is another example at Bradford Central Library [Spencer-Stanhope MS: 2317/21/121] inscribed on the reverse ‘Received 27th Nov. 1760 of John Stanhope Esq. £18 1s in full etc. Jas Marshall.’ Addresses in York are given from 1768 until James Marshall's death in 1796. In 1768 James Marshall snr died, and debts were made payable to his son, James Marshall jnr, u of Petergate, York. He polled at York ‘of Petergate’ in 1774 and 1784. Advertised in York Chronicle, 1775, that he had returned to Petergate, York, from London with an assortment of household furniture, and had built new workshops. In 1778 James Marshall of High Petergate submitted an account to ‘Mr. Cholmney’ for minor items. In 1779 the firm became James Marshall & Son, and opened a shop in Briggate, Leeds. They advertised in Leeds Mercury, giving address ‘Opposite the Old King's Arms, Briggate’, ‘where the business will be carried forward in its full extent, and the Nobility, Gentry and Others … may depend upon their Furniture well-finished in Taste and at the most reasonable prices…’. The firm appears to have continued or re-established trading in York, being recorded there in Directories in Petergate, 1781–87. Trade card from Cusworth Hall, Yorks., used to cover a bundle of letters dated 1781–94, gives addresses in High Petergate. Another, probably later, address for James Marshall, ‘near Bootham Bar’, York, is given on a label (Fig. 13) recorded on a mahogany secretaire bookcase, c. 1780–90, with dentil cornice above fluted frieze, glazed upper doors; desk drawer and panelled doors in the lower stage. [Florian Papp Coll., NY; G. Tarn Bainbridge & Son, Darlington, 7 August 1979, lot 559, illus.] Probably the ‘Mr. Marshall, Upholsterer’ who submitted a bill for £8 to Harewood House in 1760. [D; poll bks; S of G, app. index; York freemen rolls; Furn. Hist., 1965 and 1967; C. Life, 3 October 1974, pp. 932–33] A Thomas Marshall had a warehouse in Briggate, 1763.