London; japanner and Windsor chair manufacturer (fl.1803–45)
At 1 Worship St in 1803 but from 1804 at 29 City Rd, Finsbury Sq. He was listed at this same address in the London Post Office Directory 1845 as an upholsterer. A substantial maker who specialised in fancy and rustic chairs. Stock in 1803 was valued at £1,100 and in 1804 one insurance policy was effected on 20 January which provided cover of £1,000 of which stock and utensils accounted for £700, and a further policy was effected on 28 July for £300 more. This latter covered a workshop and store in Tabernacle Row nearby, a japanning shop and their contents. By November 1806 the cover had increased to the impressive sum of £5,500 all but £300 of which was in respect of utensils and stock in various warehouses and workshops. In 1812 the business was termed a ‘RUSTIC MUSEUM, and cheap Japan and Windsor Chair Manufactory’. In July Ingram informed the public of the success of a twelve day public auction which had cleared his warehouses of their old stock. They were now filled with the very latest goods which included ‘every description of fancy japanned Windsor, mahogany and dyed chairs, sofas, couches, bedsteads, cornices, flower-stands, garden and rustic seats, bridges, alcoves, summer-houses &c.’ He was offering a similar range in 1820. His trade card [Johnson Coll., Bodleian Lib., Oxford] lists similar wares and informs the public that he undertook funerals. From 1829 the business traded as John Ingram & Son.