‘the Looking Glass & Cabinet’, East end St Paul's Churchyard, London; upholder and cabinet maker, (b. 1648 - fl. c.1700)
Son of John Hunt, yeoman, of Blecklingley, Surrey. Apprenticed to John Burrowes at ‘Ye Looking Glass’ on Cornhill through the Joiners’ Company, 2 August 1662. His trade card takes an unusual form. It illustrates a marquetry looking-glass of late 17th-century date bearing the interlaced cypher of William III and Mary II supported by a lion and unicorn in the arched cresting. The square wooden cushion moulded frame is decorated with floral marquetry. The mirror plate reflects a marquetry cabinet on stand with twist turned legs of similar date. The text beneath indicates the nature of Philip Hunt's trade at this period. He offers ‘Cabenetts, Looking Glasses, Tables and stanns, Seretors, Chests of Drawers, And Curious inlaid Figures for any works’. This maker has also been identified with the Mr Hurt or Hunt who in 1720 was involved in the production of the elaborate state bed for John Mellor for his recently acquired house, Erddig, North Wales. Philip Hunt was however clearly a cm and it was an u who was involved in this bed. The long period of about thirty years that separate this commission and the trade card throw further doubt on this attribution. A much more likely craftsman is John Hutt, an u trading in St Paul's Churchyard 1710–29.
Sources: DEFM; Joiners’ Company Records; Lindey, ‘A Restoration London Cabinet and Looking Glass Maker: Edward Traherne’, Furniture History (2014).