Gregory, Charles; Gregory & Co.
London; furniture makers, decorators and antiques dealers (fl.1859-c.1940)
Kelly’s Trade directories recorded Charles Gregory at White Hart Inn Yard, 62 Borough High Street (1859); 212 Regent Street (1861); 212 Regent Street & 29 Argyll Street (1866); then as Gregory & Co. ‘importers of Persian and Indian rugs, cabinet makers and furniture printers’ (1869), 212 & 214 Regent Street and 45-46 King Street, Golden Square (1871 & 78); 212, 214 & 216 Regent Street (1892); Old Cavendish Street & Henrietta Passage (1899); Bruton Street (1929/30). The firm was known particularly for its ‘artistic’ furniture and employed designers like Charles Bevan, who designed a rosewood suite which was awarded a bronze medal at the 1878 Paris Exhibition. The Art Journal described their entries as ‘cabinet furniture for drawing room with wood mantle piece and decoration over’. The Furniture Gazette, 30 November 1878, illustrated drawing room furniture by Gregory & Co. which had been purchased by the Rothschild family. In recent years stamped pieces on the market have included two pairs of ‘Thomas Hope’ style chairs made c. 1870 (Christie’s, London, 15 November 2017, lot 103) and Bonhams London, 6 March 2013, lot 206); an aesthetic style ebonised wall cabinet (Sworders, 4 September 2012, lot 384); an aesthetic movement ebonised and parquetry chiffonier (Christie’s South Kensington, 26 January 2000, lot 310); a set of 16 George III style mahogany dining chairs (Sotheby’s London, 5 June 2007, lot 142A); and a French neo-classical side cabinet, mounted with gilt, painted with flowers and inlaid with olive, plum, rosewood, purpleheart and ebony (Hamptons’ Godalming, 17 January 2001). Two bedroom suites were also purchased from Gregory & Co., by George Peabody Wetmore, c. 1877, for his Rhode Island house, Chateau-sur-Mer; Mrs Christine P Rosengarten subsequently gave a firescreen with stained glass panel, a slipper chair and a small table all of which were of rosewood from one of these suites to the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 1969 (1969-197-6, 1969-197-16 & 1969-197-7). A Country Life advertisement for the firm in the 1920s stated that Gregory & Co., 19 Old Cavendish Street, held ‘a selection of the finest genuine old English furniture… Also many other interesting old English pieces in oak and walnut’ with an illustration of ‘a fine English 17th century carved oak narrow court cupboard’.
Sources: Agius, British Furniture 1880-1915 (1978); files in the Department of Furniture, Textiles & Fashion, V&A.