Skip to main content

Edmonds, William (1775-79)

Edmonds, William, Oxford, then Burford, joiner, cm, carpenter and chairmaker (1775–79). Opened a shop in High St, near All Saints on 21 October 1775. Sale of stock in trade on the take-over of Edmonds's business by Mr Linsell announced in Jackson's Oxford Journal, 18 September 1779. Edmonds was ‘going to keep the Mermaid at Burford; where he intends carrying on the Carpenter's, Joiner's, and Cabinet Business, as usual’. Stock for sale consisted of beds and bedding, ‘Mahogany and Walnut-tree Chairs, Tables, Bureaus, Chests of Drawers, Pier and Swing Glasses, Tea-Boards, Trays, Chests, China &c.’

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.