Bell, Elizabeth, ‘The White Swan’, against the South Gate, St Paul's Churchyard, London, cm (1740–c. 1758). Successor to Henry Bell at this address and almost certainly his widow. The trade labels that she used are identical to those of Henry Bell with the exception of the name. Most of the bills name the business as Elizabeth Bell & Son, the son probably being Philip who was in charge of the business by 1758. Following the practice of Henry Bell, Elizabeth appears to have frequently labelled furniture. Such pieces include a walnut bureau and a walnut kneehole chest, a black lacquer dwarf chest-on-chest, a mahogany chest-on-chest with slide and a mahogany card or tea table with rectangular top on cabriole legs. [V & A archives; Antiques, March 1966, p. 346; C. Life, 9 June 1966, p. 1467; Conn., May 1980, p. 6; J. Kirk, American Furniture and the British Tradition to 1830, p. 1377; Christie's, 11 April 1985, lot 25] B. A.