Aycliffe (or Ayliffe), Thomas jnr, London, turner and chairmaker (1760–d. 1805). ‘Turner in Ordinary to his MAJESTY’. Originally at the corner of Gt Newport St but by 1762 had moved to 49 Wardour St which he used as ware rooms. He also occupied ‘The King's Arms’, Gerrard St, near Newport Mkt from this date. Married in October 1795 and died in April 1805 at Surbiton, Surrey. From 1767 the business is styled Aycliffe & Webb, and from 1783 Aycliffe & Gee. The term Aycliffe & Co. is used as an alternative name for these partnerships. In 1792 insurance cover of £500 was taken out ‘on their utensils stock & goods in trust in their dwelling house and warehouse’. [D; V&A archives; Gents Mag., October 1795; April 1805; GL, Sun MS vol. 382, ref. 505828] On 8 May 1762 submitted a bill to David Garrick for ‘a Bed Waggon’ costing 16s. [V&A archives] Supplied for Audley End, Essex, to the order of Sir John Griffin Griffin in November 1766 twelve small plain chairs, twelve garrett chairs, mats, etc. In 1775 ‘six forest stools’ were supplied at £1 4s, and 2 clamp tables at 13s 6d. Two years later 12 ‘red moulded open back matted chairs’ were supplied at 7s 6d each, six similar stools at 6s 6d each and two ‘high Joint stools’ at 6s. In 1783 a quantity of garden chairs and ‘forest stools’ were supplied totalling £10 9s. As Lord Howard de Walden, Sir John continued to patronise this firm from 1784. This included 12 further ‘Red open back matted chairs’. An order for ‘12 japanned beach chairs with cane seats’ was received in 1791. This patron also ordered ‘4 Beech matted chairs’ for his London house in New Burlington St. [Essex RO, D/DBy/A27/4; A25/4; A36/3; A41/5; A42/8; A44/10; A49/5; A44/5] Supplied to Heaton Hall, Manchester, chairs costing £49 8s for Baron Grey de Wilton (later 1st Earl of Wilton). Believed to be for the Music Room. [Preston RO, bank deposit and accounts bks, DDEg] Small payments made, 1801–06, for work done at Madingley Hall. [Cambs. RO, 588/A45] B.A.