Austin, Cornelius jnr, Cambridge, joiner (c. 1698–d. 1729). It would appear that he worked for his father, although a few individual payments are recorded in his name, the earliest noted being in 1698 when Trinity College paid ‘young Austin’ for work in the Combination Room. From 1704 the payments made by St John's College are to ‘Cornelius Austin jun’, he presumably having taken over from his father. One of the first in that year was for ‘28 stools for ye scholars to kneel on in chappel …. £3.3.6.’, which were upholstered by Thomas Moulder. Austin continued to work for the College up to his death in 1729 but the later payments give few details of the work undertaken. However in 1711 in partnership with Thomas Billups he altered the bookcases in the Library and supplied stools and tables. From December 1724 Austin was an Alderman of the Cambridge Corporation and on 29 September 1726 was sworn in as Mayor. He was buried in the parish of All Saints on 30 April 1729. [Archives of Trinity College and St John's College; Cambs. RO, Cambridge Corp. day books; All Saints parish records] R.W.