London; turner and cabinet maker (fl.c.1730–58)
Born 26 December 1701 at Nantwich, Cheshire, his father was a skinner by trade. His address is variously given on trade labels as ‘The Blue-Ball, in St. Martin's-le-Grand, near Aldergate’ and the ‘Blew Ball & Hartichoake in Aldersgate St’. At the former address he advertised that he sells all sorts of ‘Mehogoney Tables, and all Sorts of Turners Work belonging to Joyners’. The other trade label mentions all sorts of Looking Glasses and Coach Glasses Chairs & Teabords’. His trade label is known on a two-door bureau cabinet, c.1750 (illus. Gilbert (1996), figs 26 and 27).In 1758 he is recorded employing three non-freemen.
Source: DEFM; Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840 (1996).